Plantar fasciitis is a common condition for which definitive treatment guidelines vary depending on what triggered the condition. Acupuncture offers pain relief and in some studies has shown to provide long-term relief. While 80 percent of heel pain will resolve without treat, the remaining 20 percent can become chronic as cause issues in the knee, hip and low back.
Overall, studies report significant benefits with acupuncture for patients. One associated acupuncture with significant improvement in pain and function when combined with standard treatment protocols. The researchers concluded there was enough evidence to support the effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of plantar heel pain.
While acupuncture can be of benefit, addressing the underlying cause is essential. Many sufferers have chronically tight calf muscles. Daily stretching can reduce symptoms as well as prevent recurrence. Using a golf ball to roll the bottom of the feet can help break up scar tissue and adhesions related to foot dysfunction. Icing the foot for 15 minutes using a frozen water bottle can be beneficial as well.
Using custom orthotics can assist in supporting arches that have fallen. Like the stretched out waistband of an old pair of underwear, once the ligaments of the foot are stretched, they will never regain their elasticity and require continued support.
To mend heel pain and keep it at bay, follow these simple recommendations:
- Stretch your calves daily
- Wear supportive shoes
- Avoid walking around in bare feet
- Wear a night splint
- Visit a doctor that can evaluate your need for orthotic support
If you continue to suffer from symptoms, try acupuncture before you resort to surgery.
See my video on Plantar Fascitis if you’d like to learn more: